Thursday 7 June 2012

Grow herbs in Malaysia

If ur gonna start a herb garden....start out with mint. Its one of the easiest herbs to grow. Needs very ( and i mean very ) little attention....give em partial shade / full sun and keep the soil moist. If you want an entire garden of mint , then grow em on the ground. Otherwise keep Mr / Miss Mint confined within pots / containers. Propagate via cuttings - happens very easily - cut the top stem just above a pair of leaves ( ensure u have atleast 4 leaves intact ) n poke em into the soil. Keep the pot in the shade for about 3-4 days , until u note some growth / the cuttings dont give way that easily when you try to pull em out. then give em partial sun n keep the soil moist.


Successful transplant
Ok...if ur cuttings look like the picture above after 3-4 days , then ur on the right track....very soon u will end up with this....


All that sun n water....n ofcourse lotsof skill.....

But if u screw up....this is what you will see.....


oh no......where...what...how....meow!

The picture above is what u get if u add too much fertiliser into ur soil for propagation ( yes i know i was out of my mind but it was an experiment ok....chill )

Now.....do all you can to keep ur mint plants happy and prosperous....sunlight.....water......manure....neem oil spray......yipee......but one day......u see holes in the leaves.....whats goin on here! Cmon...all the skill...technique n effort i put in to propagating these lovely mint plants...now i have a bug ( many many bugs....i find out later )problem ???
So i went on this Find the BUG n Kill it RAGE......
N announcing the culprit.....

Green juicy ( who wouldnt be after munching on all that mint ) worm

How I got rid of em? Ok honestly , I dont know what they are. Weird pesky green worms for sure - so i picked em off my mint leaves n left em in the hot sun to die ( yes im cruel ). I had to soak em in neem oil to kill em ( just one spray wont do ) - since i didnt have that much of neem oil , i settled for the catch n kill method.


On a happier note..........
Mint will grow like nobody's business so keep em trimmed. The more u trim , the bushier it gets. Chicken / goat manure once a month will keep those leaves big and green.
Commonest mint here in Asia has to be Spearmint. There are lots of different varieties of mint out there. I have Spearmint ( ofcourse ) , Peppermint , Applemint , Vietnamese mint , Pineapple mint and Eau de Cologne mint.

Spearmint runner
My spearmint bush

I have been looking high n low for other varieties - especially Chocolate , Orange and Grapefruit mint....but to no avail.

So...why grow mint - you may ask.....
Ok lemme tell u why i grow mint.

1) Smells fantastic!
2) Looks great!
3) A great addition to salads
4) COCKTAILS
5) Mint pesto ( Pudina Sambal )
6) Its a perennial - lives forever n ever ( if all goes well )
7) So easy to grow - if u fail, we need to talk.


Eau de Cologne Mint

Eau de Cologne Mint



Vietnamese Mint ( Laksa leaves )
Vietnamese Mint ( Laksa leaves )



Peppermint

Peppermint

Applemint



Applemint

16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic posting - great pictures & info. Most of all, love the way you write. Am trying to start a herb garden, and hope springs eternal that my mint will look like yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I'm really interested to get a mint garden started. not sure where to begin. Where can I get the soil? How often do I need to fertilise them? Where can I buy the fertilisers? Can I just start germinating from a bag of mint leaves which I buy off the shelf?

    It would be fantastic if you could email me: aphroditus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, so jealous of your mint right now. Where can I buy a mint plant or seeds to start with? Hope you could help. Kudos, to our great mint variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend introduced me to this webblog, it is from Malaysia and give a lot of information and also provide an alternative treatment of cancer based on natural medicines. Share the Webblog - http://oliveherbs.blogspot.com/ or http://bit.ly/1ctGSDl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo!! Nice! I held my breath when I saw that row of healthy mint plants. Where can I get peppermint in Malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I am a newbie and you are bloody hilarious! Oh please, can I know everything! Like what Baja(?!) do you use, what fertilizer, the pots (does the size matter?)... loads of stuff I'd like to know - what do I need mostly? Pleaseeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gonna start my minting. . So help me out here.. what soil and what fertiliser. . And start with seed?tquu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gonna start my minting. . So help me out here.. what soil and what fertiliser. . And start with seed?tquu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do I get pineapple mint in msia? Been searching high and low for it. I have choco mint though. Can email me? derick_lee95@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I m so eager to grow my own herbs!
    Where can I get the applemint seeds?
    Do you mind to email me about the details of growing herbs?
    Email: hxrxdy@hotmail.com
    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get eau de cologne mint plant in Malaysia? TQ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where can i get spearmint? Can i get some plssss huhu it is very hard here in kl

    hanif.uzir@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where can i get spearmint? Can i get some plssss huhu it is very hard here in kl

    hanif.uzir@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool!! I din't even know there are so many varieties of mint... Where did u get those mints??

    Email me @ 92teor@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete